No announcement yet.

Redcliffe session today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nice haul of bream Polyfrank, water temps in my local spot are 15deg so the bream are sketchy and thin on the bite

Comment

Well done as usual polyFrank.

Comment

Never really took much notice of the water temperature Steve540, but then in your area it may make a big difference.
        Where I fish it’s more of a seasonal thing, the Summer whiting will show up on the Bribie beaches around late September.
        Keeper size Grassies won’t appear in numbers in the Bribie passage till late November.
        The Bream I’m catching at the moment will stop congregating together and be more spread out at the end of August because they have finished spawning.
        I suppose it has a lot to do with water temperature, also to do with habits.
        5.3 walk through cuddy – 115hp Suzuki 4 stroke – 80lb Minn Kota

Comment

Originally posted by Bluefish View Post
          I have not bought bait for at least 20 years. If I can't catch it I don't use it or I use lures/fly. With a cast net, yabby pump, sabinki bait jigs and squid jigs I always manage to get fresh bait and I store some extra in the freezer or brine it down.
          I freeze unused bait, bread, fish rib cages, old rice and cereal and put it through a mincer into a fish tub and use a paddle to mix it with tuna/pilchard oil and old vegetable oil along with chicken pellets if I have them. This is then packed into 2L milk containers with the top cut off but the handle retained. These are put in a mesh bag over the back of the boat or hung off the anchor chain. They take a day to empty in winter and half a day in summer depending on current and temperature. This does not make the noise pounding a burly bucket does.
          good tip
          CHEERS Bruce

Comment

Lean pickings at Redcliffe and Scarborough today, just 4 keeper Bream 25-29cm for 4 hours fishing.
            If it’s as slow as that next time will have to go for the old standby at this time of year, Winter Whiting. Plenty getting caught at the moment, another poly owner at the ramp, which turned out to be Big Squire and his mate, had 60.

Comment

Poly,
              maybe you need to switch to single malt. Haha !
              Would you like to elaborate that berley impregnated with single malt is explosive on strikes in Pumicestone - Bay area.
              I apologise in advance Poly.
              Just being a B.
              Take care
              Bluey
              Bluey
              Smartwave 4800

Comment

Headed off to our usual mark at Redcliffe today from Bribie, surprised to see so few boat trailers there were in the carpark as the forecast was good.
                Same as last two trips it was void of anything worth catching, so thought of giving another spot nearby in much shallower water a go.
                It’s a decent size bit of reef structure and though I know of it have never fished it before. Got up current from it, spot locked and got the burley going. Lots of small Bream getting boated with 13 making the esky and one stonker of 40cm.
                Nobody fishing anywhere near us and I think that contributed a lot to the success.
                Attached Files

Comment

Tried a new type of hook at Redcliffe today, Tru-Turn. Never knew they had a dogleg in the shank and always thought it was just a brand name. I was looking on the shelf at my local tackle shop for a hook with a thinner shank than the ones I use, which are Mustad bait keepers and came across these.
                  I lost three decent fish last week due to the fish taking off with the bait but the hook not setting. The wife doesn’t have that problem as she uses 1/12oz TT number 2 jig heads baited with prawn, they have a very fine hook that works well on a Breams hard mouth. But I prefer Pilchard strips, which need a bait keeper style hook to keep them on. Have always had more success with a baited hook than plastics in this area, maybe due to spot locking and using berley, rather than drifting.
                  I’ll give the true turn hooks the thumbs up, I did seem to get a better hook up rate than with the Mustad’s and we ended up with another good day out.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Nice haul polyFrank and an interesting looking hook.

Comment

Originally posted by polyFrank View Post
                      Tried a new type of hook at Redcliffe today, Tru-Turn. Never knew they had a dogleg in the shank and always thought it was just a brand name. I was looking on the shelf at my local tackle shop for a hook with a thinner shank than the ones I use, which are Mustad bait keepers and came across these.
                      I lost three decent fish last week due to the fish taking off with the bait but the hook not setting. The wife doesn’t have that problem as she uses 1/12oz TT number 2 jig heads baited with prawn, they have a very fine hook that works well on a Breams hard mouth. But I prefer Pilchard strips, which need a bait keeper style hook to keep them on. Have always had more success with a baited hook than plastics in this area, maybe due to spot locking and using berley, rather than drifting.
                      I’ll give the true turn hooks the thumbs up, I did seem to get a better hook up rate than with the Mustad’s and we ended up with another good day out.
                      If you are missing fish try the mustard circle light wire with a small ball sinker straight to the hook in 3/0 or maybe 4/0 hardyheads and don't strike, just give the fish a bit of line and let it tighten up. Works well with soft rods left in the rod holders.

Comment

I have read articles about circle hooks in fishing mags Bluefish, as you say a good hook to have on a dead stick. Will give them a try, though not as big as 4/0.

Comment

You use BAIT, polyFrank??? And I thought you were a man of breeding and a sportsman. Why not just use the Gelly brand?
                          When I was a boy....

Comment

Originally posted by polyFrank View Post
                            I have read articles about circle hooks in fishing mags Bluefish, as you say a good hook to have on a dead stick. Will give them a try, though not as big as 4/0.
                            Frank,when you check out the mustard light wire circle hooks you will find they are not all that big. I catch heaps of rotten bream as by-catch when using 3/0, 4/0 sizes with hardy heads and herring rigged through the head. Circle hook sizes are different to J hooks.

Comment

There is a limited supply of hooks at my local tackle shop so I got some 1/0 Kumho circle hooks.
                              What are you fishing for when you catch Bream as by-catch Bluefish?

Comment

Circle hooks? Why don't you quit fishing and waterski instead. You'll catch as much.
                                www.tidesandtrails.com
                                My camping and fishing stories, including some cool locations

Comment

Working...
                                X