No announcement yet.

Redcliffe session today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great day for a trip out on the water, so went over to fish our marks at Redcliffe leaving from the ramp at Bribie as usual.

Unlucky last time over there we didn’t put some nice fish in the esky, with bust off, bite offs and a straightened hook.

This trip was unbelievably unlucky for me, tried a few locations but couldn’t get the plastics to work anywhere. Meanwhile the wife is putting the odd fish in the esky on prawn as we go. So gave up on plastics and managed to catch a lot of undersize stuff on prawn. Final score 6-0 to the wife. Lucky bastard
    5.3 walk through cuddy – 115hp Suzuki 4 stroke – 80lb Minn Kota

Comment

• Surprised at the size of the Moses perch we were getting from Scarby today. Usually they are nearly all undersize and we usually move to get away from them. Which we ended up doing after a while anyway as the bigger models seemed to have gone. So we tried a few spots at Redcliffe but all that produced were two small Bream and nothing else.

By now its late morning and the wind is clearly well over forecast and getting stronger, so we came back to the Bribie passage to fish for Grassies. This spot has a year round never ending supply of undersize Snapper, but for a few months of the year some resident Grassies as well. Managed three keepers, so happy with that.

Comment

• Another good haul. Keep the freezer stocked for a bit.

Out of interested, what kind of rods/reel/tackle you're using?

Comment

• I use 7 and 8 ft 3-5 kg glass rods with 4000 size fixed spool reels. Loaded with 15lb braid and a tied on 2-metre-long 12lb fluoro leader with a 1/12 or 1/8oz jig head depending on the current.

I use that setup with both plastics and bait spot locked up current from whatever structure we are fishing off. May also have a dead stick with an unweighted circle hook or a floated pili. Unlike the Bribie passage the current at Redcliffe and Scarborough is very gentle so fishing very light is the way to go.

Comment

• Finally, some good boating weather today, so fished our usual haunts at Scarborough and Redcliffe. Tried the same spot we got a few Moses Perch last time out at Scarborough, but could not find any, so hit our marks at Redcliffe.

Bronze Whaler Sharks and Forktail Catfish were constantly hitting the rig set up for Mac’s, really annoying because I can’t cut them loose till they are at the side of the boat. If it had not been for a small Mac being landed from the start, which made me think it’s worth persevering, I would have put it away.

Plenty of Grassies but all undersize and as usual the same went for Snapper. Also, plenty of small Bream, but with five making the esky.

All in all a very entertaining day with a good feed to boot.

Comment

• Water quality not very good after all the rain and wind, so not my best session at Redcliffe, but still a decent feed of Bream. Lots of undersize Moses Perch around the 21-23cm mark, love to know where the bigger models go because their a nice eating fish.
              Just wondering on how other members go about getting Moses Perch.
              Still those annoying Fork Tailed Catfish about, sure it’s a seasonal thing because most of the year we never ever see any. Big solid fish with plenty of power, getting sick of them so as soon as I know what it is I hold the spool so the drag can’t work and it snaps off at the leader.

Comment

• Nice collection mate. Fishery seems good; you always seem to come back with a good haul.

Thanks for the info on rods/reels/rig. We've only got light spin gear at the moment (2-4kg rods & 2500 reels) and I'm trying to suss out what we'll get for the heavier conditions offshore when the boat arrives (one more week, fingers crossed).

Comment

Working...
                X