Smartwave SW 3500

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smartwave SW 3500

Well it would seem I've come down with a bad case of smartwave influenza.....

So I sold my SW 4200 earlier this year and replaced it with a 3m Piranha lol, I know.... fun boat but I'm gunna need space for a third body this summer (father in-law) so I've been stalking scumtree heavily for the last few months looking for another SW3500. Yeap already had one but I felt it was a smidge under powered with the 18hp Envinrude it came with.

Anyway a Blue 3500 with a Merc 25hp popped up in Brisbane, long story short I took the owners word on its condition and made a 10hr trip on saturday, boat was as described, about 10hrs use, a few scratched on the hull from traps and net casting, but still a stright honest boat with a very healthy short shaft Merc 2 stroke. Price was very very favorable, safetly gear, 2 fuel tanks, a Lowrance HDS-5x and a trailer that looked like it hadnt touched salt water had me grinning all the way back to Sydney yesterday.

As it was a 2012 boat and motor I thought a quick service at my local Tohatsu mechanic would give me peace of mind. Gearbox oil, impellor replaced, a 30hp carby gasket was installed to up the power from 25hp.

Anyway a few plans for the boat, piss off the silly middle storage seat and put a central storage box/seat and I have some plans about a quick release Spray deflector set up.

test run not for a few weeks due to work in 2 other states.

Motor will get a new sticker kit as this one has a bit of sun shrinkage damage going on. A mate is keen to taking this a wee bit offshore and bloodin it with a marlin, Im not so sure thats a good idea.....

Comment

Back to the smaller brother, well done at least you still have a boat.
      Those restrictor plates look nasty, so much more to come from swapping them over.

Comment

yeah sad to see the 4200 go as it was so capable, but I can still do 90% of the fishing in the smaller 3500.

Been offered a 4 blade 11 pitch stainless prop which in theory should make it a bit more stable on turns and give it a little more topend. Anyway will test out the current set up next weekend.

yeah I still think I should be able to tow a matt or a skier behind this thing

Comment

3 people is a bit hard on the 3500, but still doable. id install some flat floors on it so you can all stand properly.

Comment

So got back from Perth on sat morning after riding the red eye special and didnt really feel like boating on the weekend, anyway decided to grab a Permatrim today, pretty easy to install and the third time Ive used a Permatrim so I know what im getting. Cant wait for a weekend run now.

Comment

so the bug to make a few changes has bitten, stage 1 some 5mm marine alloy checker plate flooring up the guts, will be attached to the twin parallel floor strip already in the boat. Strong enough not to flex and I will be attaching a minimalist tube style console and a skinny foam storage seat in the coming month

Comment

Nice, im liking where this is headed. console looks cool

Comment

yeah Im hoping I can do a half decent job with the console, got a mate with the 4.5inch radius tube bending die and he will do the welding of the stainless base plate also. I've just gotta find the right skinny box/storage seat with foam so its sorta like riding a jetski........

Comment

Righto got my mate to bend up the Stainless tube, bit of wrinkle on the inside but that only add character I reckon. Picked up some scrap 3mm SS plate for the base and guillotined another piece to make the console bracing. fingers crossed my mate will get the crack on with welding this week and then I can drop the blue tub off next week to get the steering arms/cables/forward control/steering all hooked up.

Comment

Pretty happy with the how its coming together, grabbed some pickling solution to clean up the weld marks and gave it a quick scotch brite, off to the boat dude tmw for party time.

Comment

LOOKING GREAT MATE!!!!

Comment

Thanks mate, dropped boat off this morning but I can see he is bloody snowed under with services and motor installs, highly unlikely Ill get it back by friday

Had a good look at a new Tohatsu 20hp 4 stroke they had running and hooked up a laptop, bloody small and impressive and exe lol

Comment

I can see this becoming one of the best 3500s around. Keep up the posts.

Comment

Working...
                            X