Acidstone's 4.8 Brumby Cuddy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acidstone's 4.8 Brumby Cuddy

Hopefully a week to go and we'll have the new tub.
    Mrs Acidstone chose the bimini color.....didn't realise it was going to be quite as vivid as it is...not sure it was the best choice.....but it's what we've got now.
    Dealer is just finishing off the fitment of the bait tank (third pic), sounder and other bits and bobs.
    Good times ahead hopefully
    Last edited by acidstone; 21-03-2019, 11:31.

Nice boat Acidstone, whatís the area you intend to fish and expected species to catch?
    5.3 walk through cuddy Ė 115hp Suzuki 4 stroke Ė 80lb Minn Kota

Comment

Thanks Frank. I've still got reservations about that bimini colour, but we'll see if it grows on me.

To date we've been on hire boats and have generally fished Narooma and Tuross. With the new tub however, we're looking to explore up and down the South Coast, probably from Tuross to Mallacoota. As well as estuaries and offshore, we're keen to explore up and down the rivers. Hopefully the Cuddy doesn't end up being too annoying on the rivers, but we'll see.

Species wise, we've tended to chase flatties from a boat, as they're so darn good on the chew and the fam loves catching them (boating and fishing is very much a family thing for us). That said, we're really hacks rather than hardcore fishos, so we tend to end up with a variety of species due to generic methods rather than proper targetting. With our own boat and the ability to get past the bar, we'll eventually gear up and start chasing snapper and Kingies. Depending on how the fam copes offshore, we may also try and chase tuna as well, but we'll see how we go.
      I guess I need to ramp up my knowledge on fishing having invested in a boat and stop being so blase about it.
      Last edited by acidstone; 22-03-2019, 12:33.

Comment

Looks good Acidstone! If your wife is keen to be onboard a burgundy Bimini is a small price to pay for regular crew! Iíve loved my 4.8 Cuddy for 11 years now and enjoyed doing a lot of mods. One thing with the Cuddy is that all the spray runs down the cab, along the wide gunwhale which slopes in so the water trickles down your leg! I fixed that by screwing some rubber strips about 1 cm high from the rear edge of the Cuddy to the edge of the gunwhale which channels the water overboard. I also found cockpit drainage a pain with messy bait fishing and a boat full of scales at the end of the day. I lifted the rear carpeted section of marine ply floor and replaced it with an aluminium section with a sunken gutter along the rear perforated for drainage- easy to hose everything into rear gutter and chuck it overboard.
        Also found some stainless rails across the raised Cuddy floor good for bracing feet against and stopping gear sliding out in a big sea.
        Photos used to be on this site somewhere but can repost if you are interested.
        Polys are great boats for a few mods!
        Have fun!
        Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike.
          Finally picked it up yesterday. Overall, pretty happy with everything, though there's some loose ends to tidy up.
          We're yet to get it out on the water and are going through the usual rego palaver at the moment. Should be on a maiden voyage in 2 weeks, though; can't wait!

If you'd not mind reposting the pics, I'd really appreciate it. Always keen to learn from other folks and get new ideas. I'm hoping not to have to mod the boat too much, as I already spend too much time and too many dollars on cars.....but I will make any practical improvements that are needed.

Comment

Hope youíre having fun with the new rig Acidstone. Iíve posted some pics of a variety of mods Iíve done over the years. They are in the Modifications forum. Pipe lagging the windscreen rail cost nothing but if your are somewhere warmer than the Southern Ocean you probably donít need it. May save your crews teeth if sheís about 5í5Ē though! The side deck barriers were made from some old conveyor belt, a couple of stainless screws and some Lexcel- negligible cost and well worth it.

Comment

Working...
            X