Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polycraft 4.1 or a Smartwave 4200 for Port Phillip Bay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Polycraft 4.1 or a Smartwave 4200 for Port Phillip Bay

    Hi Everyone,

    Wanting a small boat for fishing Port Phillip Bay. Want something that would be able to handle conditions if they turn nasty. I wont plan to go out in anything nasty but Port Phillip can rough up quickly so i wanted something that could handle it. Thinking a 4.1 Polycraft or the Smartwave 4200. If these two aren't a good option i was thinking a Stabicraft 1410. I've had a bigger Stabi before so i know what i'm getting with one of those but i like the idea of the poly hull. Tough durable easy to maintain etc but would the 4.1 or 4200 be able to handle choppy conditions. And how wet is the 4.1? I know the 4.5/4.55 without mod chines is the essence of wetness what about the 4.1?

  • #2
    My friend had a 4.1 and it was not wet at all but did not handle the chop 1/10th as well as my 4.55.
    Just wingin it.

    White 4.55 SC, 60HP Yamaha 4st.

    Comment


    • #3
      I Have the SMARTWAVE 4200 and ish PPB regularly in it.
      i usually pick my days and generally am fishing mornington and surrounding areas.
      ive been out in some shitty weather as well, boat can do it no worries
      its quite a dry ride in the 4200 in centre console configuration, obviously chop side on will get you wet in almost any boat that size.
      mine is setup mainly for lure fishing so has a custom casting deck, trolling motor etc.

      the 4.1 poly can be hired out from mornington boat hire, so you can try it first hand and see what you think.

      i have fished sorrento, mornignton, frankston, carrum, mordialloc, blackrock and corio bay in my boat and its handled it all fine.
      just got to pick days, i ususally try and keep the wind under 10knots when planning a day. but have been caught out in some bad weather and made it back safely no issues

      get max Hp on both hulls if you go with them.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by McGyver View Post
        My friend had a 4.1 and it was not wet at all but did not handle the chop 1/10th as well as my 4.55.
        Yeah the 4.5/4.55 can handle some chop, i've been out in some rough conditions in Port Phillip they just need to get on top of the other issue. Thanks for the info re the 4.1.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Purple5ive View Post
          I Have the SMARTWAVE 4200 and ish PPB regularly in it.
          i usually pick my days and generally am fishing mornington and surrounding areas.
          ive been out in some shitty weather as well, boat can do it no worries
          its quite a dry ride in the 4200 in centre console configuration, obviously chop side on will get you wet in almost any boat that size.
          mine is setup mainly for lure fishing so has a custom casting deck, trolling motor etc.

          the 4.1 poly can be hired out from mornington boat hire, so you can try it first hand and see what you think.

          i have fished sorrento, mornignton, frankston, carrum, mordialloc, blackrock and corio bay in my boat and its handled it all fine.
          just got to pick days, i ususally try and keep the wind under 10knots when planning a day. but have been caught out in some bad weather and made it back safely no issues

          get max Hp on both hulls if you go with them.
          Do you know if smartwave have any metro dealers here in Vic, last time i looked Bendigo was the closest one but when i contacted them they said they were no longer Smartwave dealers and that the nearest one was in Sydney. That's another one i'll look at if i can find a dealer thats close enough.

          Mornington has the 4/5/4.55 they didn't have the 4.1 a couple of weeks ago when i was there. I think the Docklands has a place where you can hire a 4.1and also Inverloch. Docklands might be a bit too protected to gauge its performance but Inverloch will be ok.

          Yes noted about max hp i've been in a few 4.5/4.55 with lesser powered engines.


          Last edited by Viper; 10-06-2018, 19:12.

          Comment


          • #6
            the guy in inverloch is where i got my smartwave from. he had a 4800 there for sale as well
            no smartwave dealers anywhere else locally anymore.
            smartwave has been purchased by MAC boats who are also from Newzealand.
            mordialloc boat hire have Polycrafts for hire as well as frankston boat hire. so check them all
            or try yaringa boat hire who is sister company of mornington boat hire (they swap boats between themselves)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Purple5ive View Post
              the guy in inverloch is where i got my smartwave from. he had a 4800 there for sale as well
              no smartwave dealers anywhere else locally anymore.
              smartwave has been purchased by MAC boats who are also from Newzealand.
              mordialloc boat hire have Polycrafts for hire as well as frankston boat hire. so check them all
              or try yaringa boat hire who is sister company of mornington boat hire (they swap boats between themselves)
              I don't think even Inverloch has Smartwave boats anymore. No dealers in Vic at all from what i can see. I emailed the company in NZ and got nothing but fresh air back so I think i'll drop those as an option.

              Inverloch does have a 4.1 to hire which is good. Mordy only have the 4.5, same as Frankston.

              Comment


              • #8
                From their website:-Below are all the official SmartWave dealers in Victoria that will be more than happy to provide you assistance with our great range of SmartWave boats.

                Bendigo Marine
                Bendigo
                Contact: Mr Trevor Yates
                Ph: 03 5448 3988
                Email: sales@bendigomarine.com.au
                Web: www.bendigomarine.com.au

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Jackugly View Post
                  From their website:-Below are all the official SmartWave dealers in Victoria that will be more than happy to provide you assistance with our great range of SmartWave boats.

                  Bendigo Marine
                  Bendigo
                  Contact: Mr Trevor Yates
                  Ph: 03 5448 3988
                  Email: sales@bendigomarine.com.au
                  Web: www.bendigomarine.com.au
                  Hi Jack,

                  Thanks for your reply. Give him a call and see how you go. I was told that they are no longer Smartwave dealers (from Bendigo Marine itself) and that Smartwave has been told to rectify the website to show as such. I called them myself after looking at the Smartwave site. If they (Smartwave) make it this hard to buy the boat it doesn't bode well if i have a warranty problem down the track. Melbourne has a decent sized population now so if you think they are serious about breaking into the Australian market they'd have a dealer here.
                  Last edited by Viper; 17-06-2018, 21:17.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Def no Smartwave dealers in Vic atm. Buggar!!!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X