Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To repower or not to repower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • To repower or not to repower

    Hey PB doodes,

    getting to repower time on the ole 4.1. The Tohatsu 2004 40hp has served me well but age is creeping up on me and power trim n tilt plus a 4st is appealing to me. She has been a trusty beast, i have done the services myself and it still runs good but no smoke and PT&T is soo nice to look forward to.

    Whats a new 40 or 50hp gunna sting me? 8k?
    Habes
    Far North Coast NSW

    "Tight lines and white knuckles"

    *** 4.1 Challenger Open *** 40 Hp Tohatsu *** 55lb MinnKota AP ***

  • #2
    Hey habes,

    I recently priced a new merc 60 4 stroke from the local merc dealer in nsw for 9500 fitted with standard gauges, a while ago when i was chasing up quotes they were around the same price and 500 less for a 50 hp 4 stroke.

    i got a new 50 merc 2 stroke (PT&T, Forward controls) a few years ago fitted for 7750 with 5 years warranty! Cheapest new 50hp i could find in adelaide region and Still about the same price now! I havn't had any issues with my 50 and surprisingly good on fuel! Had a 40 yamaha before hand, terrible holeshot!

    not sure on other brand prices, hope this gives you some useful info!

    Comment


    • #3
      Bris Yamaha list their 50 at $7500, PBO wont let me post the link to the site, but if you google Brisbane Yamaha you will find it pretty easy.
      One of my friends had a 50hp four stroke Suzuki on his old 4.1 and he absolutely loved it!
      Just wingin it.

      White 4.55 SC, 60HP Yamaha 4st.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by McGyver View Post
        Bris Yamaha list their 50 at $7500, PBO wont let me post the link to the site, but if you google Brisbane Yamaha you will find it pretty easy.
        One of my friends had a 50hp four stroke Suzuki on his old 4.1 and he absolutely loved it!
        Thats not too shabby at all. Will look them up.
        Habes
        Far North Coast NSW

        "Tight lines and white knuckles"

        *** 4.1 Challenger Open *** 40 Hp Tohatsu *** 55lb MinnKota AP ***

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Sconner 6062 View Post
          Hey habes,

          I recently priced a new merc 60 4 stroke from the local merc dealer in nsw for 9500 fitted with standard gauges, a while ago when i was chasing up quotes they were around the same price and 500 less for a 50 hp 4 stroke.

          i got a new 50 merc 2 stroke (PT&T, Forward controls) a few years ago fitted for 7750 with 5 years warranty! Cheapest new 50hp i could find in adelaide region and Still about the same price now! I havn't had any issues with my 50 and surprisingly good on fuel! Had a 40 yamaha before hand, terrible holeshot!

          not sure on other brand prices, hope this gives you some useful info!
          thanks, seems the 7-8k is the 50hp range price.

          now to find a rockbar to break the Tohatsu, as thats the only way I get one at this stage.

          is it worth selling the old motor thou?

          Habes
          Far North Coast NSW

          "Tight lines and white knuckles"

          *** 4.1 Challenger Open *** 40 Hp Tohatsu *** 55lb MinnKota AP ***

          Comment


          • #6
            Definitely worth selling the 40, anything you get for it will help offset the price of the new donk!
            Just wingin it.

            White 4.55 SC, 60HP Yamaha 4st.

            Comment


            • #7
              Then I saw a Red 4.5 Side console with 70hp and 27hrs for 13k. Thats only 5 k change over if I sell the 4.1. Thats a cheaper option.

              In two minds. The 4.5 opens offshore up , but I have mate with 6m Savage thats a gem to go outside, big safe and roomy.
              Habes
              Far North Coast NSW

              "Tight lines and white knuckles"

              *** 4.1 Challenger Open *** 40 Hp Tohatsu *** 55lb MinnKota AP ***

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by McGyver View Post
                Definitely worth selling the 40, anything you get for it will help offset the price of the new donk!
                Or better to get a trade
                Habes
                Far North Coast NSW

                "Tight lines and white knuckles"

                *** 4.1 Challenger Open *** 40 Hp Tohatsu *** 55lb MinnKota AP ***

                Comment


                • #9
                  I agree with McGyver, sell it and throw cash towards a new motor, I sold my old 40 for 1200, happy to get rid of it , it was nearly 20 years old, unknown hours but reasonable condition for an old motor!
                  you could just back the boat(outboard) into the corner of the shed or a "bollard" near the boat ramp...........

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by McGyver View Post
                    Bris Yamaha list their 50 at $7500, PBO wont let me post the link to the site, but if you google Brisbane Yamaha you will find it pretty easy.
                    One of my friends had a 50hp four stroke Suzuki on his old 4.1 and he absolutely loved it!
                    I was caught by their cheap prices before, read down the bottom of the listings for their outboards it stipulates the following

                    "Price does not include:
                    • Yamaha Alloy Prop
                    • Yamaha 703 Side Control Box and Yamaha looms/wiring
                    • 2x Yamaha multi function digital gauges(Tacho and Speedo, Fuel level, Battery level, Trim, Hours, Warnings, etc)
                    • Battery, Steering, Fuel filter, Fuel tank
                    • Fitting(dependent on boat configuration - as a guide $500 to $750 for a single outboard of this size)"
                    looking at an extra 1500 easy depending on what you want!

                    PARSUN make a 50/60hp fourstroke these days, not to sure on price but looks like an older mercury clone!

                    good luck anyway mate!


                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X