Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minn Kota Riptide Terrova OR Motor Guide XI5

Hi Guys,

I know this has been discussed before but some time has passed and perhaps opinions have changed.....

So I've setup my 4.5m Drifter CC for an 80lb 24V system. All I need now is the electric trolling motor with spot lock/electric anchor feature. I'm now at the point where I have to make a decision....the Minn Kota OR the Motorguide. A local dealer will supply me with either brand for $2500. Looking for honest feedback as to which one to buy? Reliability and longevity are key factors. Also, what length shaft is best?

As I understand it the Motor Guide is cheaper but with less features than the Minn Kota. So if your dealer is charging the same amount for either of them, then go for the Minn Kota.

As for shaft length McGyver has an 80lb on his 4.5.
    5.3 walk through cuddy 115hp Suzuki 4 stroke 80lb Minn Kota

Comment

shaft length wise the longer the better imo, you can always adjust it if you need.

the motorguide can link to compatible lowrance sounders and offer some pretty cool features, so if you have a compatible lowrance sounder then its a no brainer. both are good units otherwise.

Comment

So I'm thinking 60" shaft. Have heard that the Motorguide XI5 is faster and more accurate at maintaining spot lock as well as quieter. Its tough trying to decide when you haven't anything to reference from. Keep the feedback coming.

Comment

I have the 55lb thrust MK on my 4.1. I have had it for about 9 years and never had a problem with it. The spot lock and navigation features are fantastic. ( Newer ones are probably even better)
          John
          5.9/175 Yamaha and 4.1/40 Yamaha/50lbMK

Comment

The shaft length on mine is about 54 inches and its long enough for my 5.3. The base must be bolted to the hull not screwed on, as they are surprisingly powerful. As for comparing the features, searching the net would be the go.
            5.3 walk through cuddy 115hp Suzuki 4 stroke 80lb Minn Kota

Comment

I've had my motor guide xi5 8 months been back 3 times under warranty gps unit failed twice remote control replaced once. Minn Kota for me next time!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds like 54" shaft length should do. Checking the net and forums creates more confusion. So many conflicting points of view in favour of one or the other. Holdens Vs Fords The general feeling I got was that the Minn Kota had more features but the reliability had faded a bit, but the Motor Guide was fast, quiet, solid and reliable. Jasen's post shakes that theory up a bit. I've got a few more weeks before I buy so will hold off for more feedback. Thanks once again to those who have contributed so far.

Comment

I have had minn kotas for years my last 55lb i sold with my 4.5 poly never an issue except a sticky foot pedal. Upgraded to a 80lb terrova on my new boat. Great units and if you have humminbird sounders you can link them. My $0.02.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input. Decided on an 80lb 24V 54" shaft Terrova Riptide with iPilot. $2995 from local dealer. The original price of $2500 was misquoted. Hopefully it gives me years of trouble free service.
                    Last edited by Boagy; 05-12-2018, 09:11.

Comment

Working...
                    X