Lexel alternative

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lexel alternative

Ok so today I was searching around for some Lexel to seal the bungs in my boat. The store that used to stock it has since shut so I called the distributor and was told they no longer bring it in to Australia. I looked for a couple of alternatives from both sika and fixtech but was told the demand in Australia for a product that meets the requirements I mentioned is almost non existant and if they couldn’t move at least 1200 tubes each 12 months it wouldn’t be worth developing a new product.

Anyway apparently polycraft themselves elves are just using Selley’s all clear so I gave the tech line a call at selleys and the guy there said while it isn’t marketed as suitable to stick to HDPE, in their workshop it has/does stick quite well.

The only precaution is to let it cure properly (100%) before getting it wet.

I will give it a try when I reseal the bungs next. I also used to let the lexel go off a bit before tightening the screws that last 1-2 turns to act a bit like a gasket as well as the adhesive properties so will continue to do this and see how I go.

If anyone is getting a tube of lexel off the net I’d still be keen to have a tube on hand if you want to combine postage/make up an order.

Sam.
    I believe in Karma. That means I can do bad things to people all day long and I assume they deserve it.

I just installed bungs on my poly. I used Sika Kitchen and bathroom its suitable for plastic. So far so good no leaks.

Comment

I’ve done the selleys all clear today too so hopefully it does the job.
      I believe in Karma. That means I can do bad things to people all day long and I assume they deserve it.

Comment

Has anyone played with Sika Marine 291?
        It would /appear/ to be ok, given Polyethylene doesn't meet this criteria:

"must not be used to seal plastics that are prone to stress cracking (e.g. Perspex, polycarbonate, etc.)"

From this:
        https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...U0yWSjuKbGPZAY
        Last edited by acidstone; 01-05-2019, 14:46.

Comment

i spoke to a distributer a while back who said they were not bringing it in due to some health concerns? - carcinogens? still looks to be readily available on the US amazon. as noted polycraft told me to use all-clear but let it go off a bit and use as a gasket more then anything.

im also interested in a tube or two if anyone's going to the hassle of importing.

Comment

Originally posted by acidstone View Post
            Has anyone played with Sika Marine 291?
            It would /appear/ to be ok, given Polyethylene doesn't meet this criteria:

"must not be used to seal plastics that are prone to stress cracking (e.g. Perspex, polycarbonate, etc.)"

From this:
            https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...U0yWSjuKbGPZAY
            Yeah, i've been using it. It seems OK to me.

Comment

Awesome, thanks Deek. Might get some from Bunnings and give it a crack this weekend.

Comment

Working...
              X