Thread: Smartwave 4200 trailer

Default Smartwave 4200 trailer

I'm finally back in work after 8 months out and i'm getting ready to bite the bullet and buy a boat. There are a few SmartWave dealers in Qld, and one in Mackay (well, they have a solitary 4200 in stock, which is what i'm after anyway).

Reading the SmartWave blurb, they say the hull can only be supported on skids that support at least 70% of the hull length and must extend past the transom by at least 50cm.

The trailer under this particular boat is a Savage and i reckon the skids are about 1.5m long - well short of the stipulated 70% of hull length.

Can any of the 4200 owners out there please confirm for me the length of the rails on their trailers so i can go into this with my eyes open. I've seen this boat 3 or 4 times and the length of those skids has drawn my attention every time.

Edit: I took a quick trip down to the dealer and grabbed a couple of pics. Excuse the quality but i was laying on the grass shooting through cyclone fencing and long grass.

You can clearly see that the keel rests on the centre skids, and the rails off to the side that are supposed to be 3m long are, at best, less than 1.5m. They look to finish before the axle. This goes against all Smartwave advice - that the hull should rest entirely on skids and the hull should not have weight supported in any other manner other than a roller or block on the winch post.

The fact that this boat has been sitting here for about 10 months now - it was apparently ordered by a fisho who backed out after it was ordered - has got me wondering if there could be any deformation of the keel. The LH skid - which can't be seen in the pics - is also bearing the weight of the LHR corner of the hull on the LHR corner of the skid and the front drops away at enough of an angle that the rest of the rail has no contact with the hull at all.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by troppo_sean; 18-06-2017 at 12:21.

After deciding i was being lazy i decided to use the search function and found this:

http://www.polyboatowners.com/2010/v...highlight=4200

...and this:

"I have the OEM trailer for the 4200 so I've done some quick measurements.
    The skids are 100x50mm, 3200mm long and covered in a kind of astroturf material.
    Centre to centre they are 1110mm apart.
    They extend approx. 150mm beyond the rear step of the hull when it is on the trailer.
    Because the skids are mounted at 90 to the 2 cross members which are a shallow V shape, they are oriented with a bit of an inward tilt. I can't measure the angle of the V but I suppose this will be already defined by the basic design of your trailer.
    The last 330mm of the skids taper down from 100mm to 35mm high to assist in winching the hull up onto the skids, and also I guess to ensure that they don't gouge the hull.
    There is only one roller on the trailer, this is situated on the trailing edge of the rear cross member and in such a way that it assists in winching the hull up onto the skids, but once the hull is up on the skids, the roller is not in contact with the hull. When on the trailer, the hull touches absolutely nothing but the skids and the rubber snub block at the front of the trailer.
    The trailer itself is the widest I have seen for a boat of this size. I could try to measure the axle length tomorrow if that might help and it isn't pissing with rain again. Let me know."

http://www.polyboatowners.com/2010/v...highlight=4200

Hi Sean,

I suspect the 50cm overhang requirement at the back is a misprint and should read 5cm or 50mm? The trailer in your pic meets this part of the requirement.

But the trailer in your pic was designed for a Polycraft, the two centre skids trap the keel between them and support the weight while the outer skids act mostly as 'balancers'. I'm not sure if that is an acceptable method for Smartwaves or whether they need the weightbearing skids further out but if you send the pic to http://www.advantageplastics.co.nz/shop/MARINE.html I am sure they will be able to give a quick yes or no.

Having said that, even if Advantage say it is okay from a support POV I don't think(?) Smartwaves have a pronounced keel to guide into the slot between the centre skids which may make retrieval a slow/manual process to keep the boat centred. Some of our SW owners can probably advise better on this.

"Deformation of the keel".......check very, very carefully. If there is any evidence of deformation then bargain as hard as you can with the dealer for a HUGE discount. (Then you can take it home, set up the trailer correctly and sit it in the sun for a few days and let the 'mould memory' of the plastic return it to the correct shape. Bargain!
    Last edited by kfish; 18-06-2017 at 14:50.
    "Exploring all the ways not to do it!"

Thanks kfish, at least i know what that trailer is for. I knew it wasn't the correct one for that hull type.

That boat has been there for a long time anyway, so there's no way known i was going to offer or accept anything close to the RRP. Also that particular dealer sells Etec and Tohatsu motors and whilst i have no real issues with either, i know that specific Etec has been hanging off the back and sitting in the sun for close to a year as well.

...and bugger me with a big stick, i just checked their ad on gumtree again. When i first saw that boat it was $11500, and they keep putting the price up!!

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mack...age/1102436957

multiple image upload

down here in Sydney ya get a Sales Trailer, roller set up and two skids support the outer.

gunna be bloody hard or impossible to drive the boat on and will require a shit load of winch grunt to pull the boat on I reckon

Thanks for the pic Steve. I hadn't got to the point where i considered what effort would be required to get the boat back onto the trailer, but it would be more than you'd say was normal.

Do you have any idea how long your skids are?

kfish, looking at the picture Steve put up, there's no way that centre skid setup would guide the boat onto the trailer. The keel angle just isn't aggressive enough.

Quote Originally Posted by troppo_sean View Post
    Thanks kfish, at least i know what that trailer is for. I knew it wasn't the correct one for that hull type.
    The issue is that there doesn't seem to be a "Smartwave trailer" so they mostly end up on whatever people can best adapt. If the inner rails on that one were moved out a bit and angled to meet the hull shape I reckon it would work well. Those blue poly skids are ideal for poly boats, I just give them a quick spray with Lanox or WD40 once or twice a year while at the ramp which prevents any 'stiction', never had a problem with either drive or winch on.

Quote Originally Posted by troppo_sean View Post
    .......they keep putting the price up!
    Sounds like 'discount boat sale' season must be just around the corner.

edit: yes, didn't think they had a pronounced keel so skids will need to be fair way apart.
    Last edited by kfish; 18-06-2017 at 20:35.
    "Exploring all the ways not to do it!"

The trailer has removable/adjustable skids, so i would move them to suit the boat layout.
    those ones in the centre need to be moved outwards to sit like it does on my boat, and yes the hull needs to be supported on the skids and not on rollers etc.
    everything you need to know about the trailers are on the smartwave website.
    my trailer was custom made, so use the pics from my showroom thread as a guide

12. Default

Ah, nice clear pic. Thanks cobber

As said before check out advantage plastics website , download the PDF catalogue, has some good info on trailer requirements at the last page. Shows a trailer with 2 long skids that would support close to the inside of the chines , also has a rear guide roller that wouldn't touch the hull when on the trailer fully.
    Pretty much every time I've visited a boat dealer they have boats on trailers not designed for the hulls and/ or not adjusted to suit the hulls . Alloy boats it's no big deal but poly boats are so flexible its a worry ....

I bought my sw4200 hull 2 years ago then built the trailer to suit , used black HDPE 50mm wide skids , 2 under the keel 2850 mm long and 2 on the sides 1830mm long plus about 350mm curve down for thr side skids.
    Wished I made the side skids a little wider apart, they sit about 20mm from the chines inside edges.
    It's been towed up to Cape York twice so far . Dirt and fine rocks get in between the skids and hull, the first time I went to launch at a ramp after the last trip the boat refused to budge off the trailer...... had to drive back up the ramp then back down again & hit the brakes , needed 2 goes to get it off.
    Decided to take the boat off the trailer at home and sand off the scratches and dirt from the skids and under the hull where it touches the skids.
    Spayed some tyre shine on the skids , heard it's got silicon in it , lot cheaper than proper silicon spray . Only just finished it today but the hull slides so easy now. Time will tell if that tyre shine causes the dirt to stick even more. The trailer has a small stone deflector at the front and shade cloth cable tied to the frame , reduces the amount of stone damage to the hull but dirt / fine rocks still make their way between the skids and hull......

I'll try to attach some pics later

Default Pics of SW4200 boat trailer

Had to reduce the pic sizes , anyway found a fair bit of rust on the 50 x 50 box sections that support the keel skids , wasn't willing to spend big $ getting the frame hot dipped 2 years ago plus any changes / repairs is easier to weld with no thick galvanising in the way. Trailer has never been dunked , deepest water level is about 1/3 of the wheels up, never covered the axle although beach launching it gets splashed a lot with salt water.
    The side skids are 1070mm apart outer edges. I made the 6 vertical yokes to sit approx 16 to 17 degrees at the top to suit this hull. The flat skids stop any movement side to side when towing on rough roads and tracks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

15. Default

Thanks crayfish, excellent info there mate.

Thanks everyone, you've all been great help.

Next question - is a custom trailer generally cheaper, the same or dearer than a mass produced one? There are a couple of trailer places around where i work and i was thinking of dropping in and asking for a price. I figure if i'm going to end up with something of dubious quality that isn't what it's supposed to be anyway and will need modifying, i may as well go custom build and get it done right the first time.

Off the shelf trailer will be cheaper for sure
    They are made to be adjustable so you will be fine
    I believe richo had good results with a dunbier 4.3m sports

For skid material I would go carpet over the plastic skids. Less friction with the carpet

Hang fire. There's a new member who makes custom ally trailers at a decent price. I'm waiting for him to post.

Stirling (?Sterling) Trailers.
    When I was a boy....

Here's the guy I was talking about.

If you phone him, tell him the email address he gave me bounced. Give me another one.

"Hi Doug,

I would like to join the poly boat forum.

My DIY aluminium trailer business can certainly add value to your members, $1,299 with freight from $130 to Cairns & Sydney etc.

Best regards,

Peter
    Spitfire Trailers
    0419721107"
    When I was a boy....