Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: POLINATOR

Default POLINATOR

Hi everyone, i have had the 4.55 for nearly a month now so i thought its about time i start my build up thread.

She is a 2005 4.55 side console (in survey) with a 60 yammy 4 stroke. So far im very happy with how it performs after my old tin can, it is a little hard to get used to the lack of speed but ill get there.

Mods so far
    Horizontal rod holders
    Tacho
    New bilge and piping
    Nav lights and general electrical tidy up

Mods to come
    Casting deck extention
    Rear seat infill
    Deck lighting
    Bow mount lecky
    Short bow rails
    Upgrade electronics

Be ready for the onslaught of pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bring em on Mygyver. How do you find the rod storage ... can you actually fit 5 rods in there as I was a little sceptical when looking in the shop. looks good without the rails too.

Thanks
    Matt

i have had 5 rods in them it does work, the reels sit more straight out instead of down its not ideal. They do work well with 3 rods tho all my rods are right hand wind so they sit nice

I like the bare front with no rails too but i dont want to mount my rod holders to the plastic so im putting short (450mm) rails in, rod holders are the cannon adjustable type with rail mount bracket.

few more pics including, the nav lights, tacho and some shots of the deck before casting platform and storage boxes go in.

A quick question does anyone have experience with bow mounted minn kota electrics on a 4.55 or similar, im trying to decide which way to go either 55 or 70lbs thrust. 55 is cheaper and is 12volt but i dont want to find it has not got enough poke.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Got a 55 Minn Kota on my brother's 4.55. Goes fine in creeks and rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by McGyver View Post
    A quick question does anyone have experience with bow mounted minn kota electrics on a 4.55 or similar, im trying to decide which way to go either 55 or 70lbs thrust. 55 is cheaper and is 12volt but i dont want to find it has not got enough poke.

Any advice would be much appreciated
    If you are poking around the estuaries then the 55lb will be fine. I'm still tossing up between the Minn Kota ST 55lb with built in iPilot and the 80lb 24v system. The difference is about $800 inc batteries etc. If you want to use the bow mount offshore spot locking reefs or for use in heavy tidal flow then you will need the 80lb for sure. I kinda like one of my front bins for my drinks too!!!!

Cheers for the replies, by the sounds of it a 55 will suit me well. I also have been looking at the ipilot function and not sure if i would get the most out of it, what i think would be really nice is a wireless foot controller. Do the different options represented by letters eg ST, FC etc confuse anyone else? a legend on the Minn Kota website would be nice.

I have the remote wrist control with my Minn Kota; prior to buying it, I watched a few guys using foot controls and a number of them seemed to be holding it! When I queried those guys, their response was along the lines of "foot controls are very hard to operate with any precision if the boat is rocking in a swell" etc.

Very happy with my remote hand control but if I was buying a new one, I would almost certainly go the iPilot option; I like the idea of it being able to hold station within a metre or so of a set location and also the ability to follow a track through snags etc.

Unfortunately, I think my motor is too old to fit one retrospectively and I can't justify buying a new one ATM.

I have the 55lb thrust Minn kota with I-pilot, and it is fantastic. Fully remote control and the spot lock holds against tide and wind within a couple of feet.
    Brilliant for casting around snags etc, don't have to frig around with the anchor.

just finished the worlds longest rod holder installation, i bought some cannon adjustable rod holders and turns out they dont come with the backing plate. I searched everywhere and ended up having to buy them from the U.S. 6 weeks later and they finally arrived.

They may cost 3 times more than the normal ones but for the quality and strength they are worth every cent!

Awsome mate, I dont know how I missed this thread but she looks like a good functional rig. Great layout, plenty of room.

Nice one!!

thanks keith, i have some nice mods that will be hopefully finished in the next 3 weeks there will be a swag of pics up then.

started on fitting the framing for my deck extension and rear infill this arvo. Also started cuttin all the plastic lids. Slow process more pics tomorro.

It starting to look good McGyver.

Are you going to remove the poly floor to take some of the weight out.

I also love you full safety gear

4062 isnt that many really

5.3 Cuddy 115Hp Johno 2St

haha yea pair of glasses and a dirty old rag for the long hair thats all she'll be right.

i will be pulling the covers off to run some draw wires for later but they will go back in again, i dont find her to heavy yet my opinion may change next week when i put the electric and battery up the front.

also pete how did you put my pic up full size?
    Last edited by McGyver; 14-08-2010 at 21:58.

Quote Originally Posted by McGyver View Post
    also pete how did you put my pic up full size?
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Grass Hopper. . . . . . . . . . .

Thats why Im the Post Master General . . . . . . . .

Follow this link.
    http://www.polyboatowners.com/2010/v...hread.php?t=89

Posting pics is much easier if they are already on the net. I use Photobucket.
    4062 isnt that many really

5.3 Cuddy 115Hp Johno 2St

"haha yea pair of glasses and a dirty old rag for the long hair thats all she'll be right"

....and the Japanese safety boots!
    When I was a boy....

Doug, my old man calls them that aswell, or japanese riding boots.

Little more done today the plastic is now cut to size. During the week i will pick up some carpet, glue, screws and hinges ready for next weekend. This took forever beause not one side of my poly is symetrical to the other it was a real PITA.

Hi mate, thanks for the pics, my 4.1 is on the way in September and you've given me a few good options to consider. Very neat, fishable rig, congrats.
    ________
    Ford Model C Specifications
    Last edited by Aaron-R; 20-03-2011 at 22:03.