Polyboatowners Forum  

Go Back   Polyboatowners Forum > FISHING CHAT

Notices

FISHING CHAT Fishing News and Reports. Includes Brag Stories and photos

Old 04-06-2017, 19:44
You'd almost think he was from Wubble-you-eh

Default Burrum Heads - Southern gutters

Hey guys just wondering if anyone has fished the southern gutters out from Burrum heads north of Hervey Bay recently? I want to go up there over winter and see what's around but I've never been up that way before so am I unsure on what to expect or what to look out for.

Last edited by iamsam; 12-06-2017 at 22:12.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:54
PBO Member

Good fish out there at the moment with scarlets, hussar, parrot/wrasse, coral trout, sweetelip etc with the odd snapper starting to show. Live baits work the best for the better fish but prawn pattern plastics can work well on the trout and snapper. There are tuna on the way out and on the reef complex. The sharks are still a big problem so if you start to get hit the only thing to do is move otherwise you will waste every good fish you hook. Try jigging or cast netting herring of pike around the boat ramps. You can also jig yakkas on the way out on some of the coffee rock patches and at the fairway and pearl buoy.
Old 12-06-2017, 22:11
You'd almost think he was from Wubble-you-eh

Thanks bluefish. Do you get out into the bay much during winter? I'm hoping to get up there for a big snapper over winter. Be good to catch up with a few poly owners up that way sometime.
Old 15-06-2017, 07:56
PBO Member

I try to get out either in the bay or down in the Sandy Straits and Mary river every weekend depending on sporting commitments and weather.
Be aware the run to the gutters is a fair hike with the inner reaches being 35nm out from the harbor with no protection if the weather turns bad, so pack plenty of fuel and keep an eye on the weather. I am sure there are a few poly owners up here who will give you a few pointers on where to go if you are headed up this way.