Polyboatowners Forum  

Go Back   Polyboatowners Forum > ADMINISTRATION

Notices

ADMINISTRATION Web Site Announcements, Web Site Help, Admin issues

Old 10-06-2017, 12:32

Unhappy The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Since I handed over my crown, sword and sceptre I can't help but notice that contributions have fallen off significantly. The two events are not necessarily connected. Does this mean that members are missing the abuse and excoriations delivered to all and sundry by myself, or has everyone sold their plastic boats?

I seem to be unable to contact Ron Dunn - private messages go ignored and his email address is unknown (to me at least). There's at least one thread that still gives my address for membership enquiries, resulting in my getting requests to join which I am unable to forward to Ron.

It's disappointing to me and the late great Dave that the forum, so carefully nourished over years, is in danger of becoming defunct. Where have all the old regulars gone? They can't all be in prison or mental health facilities surely?

Please guys, return to the fold. I remember many members saying words to the effect that this was the best boating/fishing forum out there.

Ron, take an interest; post your own thoughts and publish an email address from Gmail or similar. Better still read your private messages.

More in sorrow than in anger,
Doug
Chief Old Fart
Old 10-06-2017, 18:37
PBO Member

Not going to pretend that I know all the reasons the chat may have died down a little, whether people are busy doing other things, or whatnot...

However, may I be so bold as to mention that Facebook, and the Polyboatowners group that is rather large (98 members or so) may have something to do with the decline of this forum.

I know a lot of the people on the forum are very anti-facebook, for whatever reasons, however, Facebook is much more interactive interface than a forum - lots of reasons, photos, videos much more easily accessible/uploadable, can have real time chats with other members, can get push notifications through when comments/messages arrive, you hvae many different interests all in one place, and getting in contact with other members/people is much much easier, etc etc etc.

Again, not saying Facebook is the reason, but I do feel it is a contributing factor.

Just my 2c. I know many may not like it.
Old 10-06-2017, 19:38
PBO Member

i am still here, however.. i have sold the poly. sad face.
it is also victorian winter and boat show season. so crazy crazy busy!

though i am still loving the forum
5/227 Wells Rd. Chelsea Heights, Vic . 3196
Old 11-06-2017, 17:02
PBO Member

Personally I have sold the boat and moved to inner city Melbourne. I check back here every now and again and don't see much going on.

The ability to join this forum, if it is the same from when I tried, is extraordinarily difficult. If new members aren't being approved, then that may well be the ends of it.
Old 11-06-2017, 20:03
First against the wall when the revolution comes

Hi Doug hope all is going well for you.

Have been looking at the posts on the forum from time to time, but have not logged onto the site for a couple of months as there were no posts I wanted to respond to, or had anything interesting to post.

Ak47 mentioned Facebook which the wife loves, it keeps her up to date with family and friends around Australia and overseas. Iím sure many clubs use it as their main source of chat and info, but talking to the wife about Facebook, it seems to lack archive structure. You canít search through it to find some thread posted years back.

As for Ron not caring or taking an interest in the forum is something that needs to be fixed or the forum will die. Iím all for anything that will help to keep it going.
Old 11-06-2017, 23:50

Well I'm opposed to Facebook in all its iterations but maybe there should be a vote on who would like to migrate the forum there. No-one will miss me and it seems to appeal to 98 "people".

I've seen the best of this forum and I won't be sorry to leave it in its present state.

Is Ron still alive?
Old 12-06-2017, 08:00
Redneck Wanker

Good to hear from you Doug, hope all is well!

I have backed off a bit mainly because whatever I was posting wasn't really getting any replies. I know not everyone is into fishing but even so there use to be some solid banter thrown around which was good fun.

It doesn't feel the same without the constant input from guys like yourself, giffo, len, bruce, chin etc etc

Im not sure facebook is stealing any of the limelight. The facebook group is very small and for me lacks the appeal of the reports that can be posted on here.

White 4.55 SC, 60HP Yamaha 4st.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:03
Redneck Wanker

If we are going to make a second dig surge I will be there!

Old 12-06-2017, 08:50

I wasnít suggesting the forum should be moved to Facebook. It wonít be of any use as far as accessing archives for info on boat mods etc. as there is no archives.

It needs to stay in the same format run by more than one person so we donít have this scenario again.
So the question is how can that be implemented?.....Doug.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:39
Redneck Wanker

sorry me either frank, I also am not sure the facebook group has anything to do with the drop in activity here.

I have no experience in the runnings of a vbulletin website but if there is some way I can help with new member access I would be happy to help.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:52

First we have to find the current administrator. Understandably he took my privileges away when I handed over, so I can't do any more than you guys.

Calling Ron...
Old 12-06-2017, 10:41
PBO Member

Personally, I think it's a credit to the mob on here that traffic is slower than usual.

Why you ask? Well, to me this forum was initially about how to deal with this weird creature called a polycraft. So many innovative ideas to make it something other than a floating wheelie bin. So all the problems have been covered and we now just go fishing.

Although, I have discovered my transom now leaks and a 100 litres came out of it in rough seas last month, and I don't have any Lexel left

Help!!!!!

Norm (still got the 4.55)
Old 12-06-2017, 13:22
Tries to be helpful but usually is wrong

kfish's bit of placky sits forlornly under the carport awaiting the medical officer's approval of her captain's imminent return to sea.....

So no postings from me recently tho' I do stick my head in here regularly to see how you are all going. And no, I wouldn't do that if PBO became "LDPE selfies on Faceplant"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGyver View Post
If we are going to make a second dig surge I will be there!
Aye!

Old 12-06-2017, 17:37
PBO Member

Found what the back of a boat looks like too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (31.6 KB, 20 views)
Old 12-06-2017, 20:05

Ronís last post was at the beginning of January and he has not logged onto the forum for a few months. If he had issues that prevented him from looking after the forum Iím sure he like the rest of us would have informed us of the problem. That has not happened and we may never hear from Ron again.

So, I propose as a last resort we consider starting another Vbulletin forum. I donít mind chipping in and helping to set it up.
Old 12-06-2017, 20:26
PBO Member

Yeah. I like it here. FBook is too verbose and threads get buried. PolyFrank always gives me motivation, as do all the posts I read. I don't have much to share at the moment. Waiting for Mackerel season. Still enjoying my ride, and the Forum.
Old 12-06-2017, 22:05
You'd almost think he was from Wubble-you-eh

I also miss the banter of the old regulars. I don't have a poly boat anymore either but still check back to see if I can help out with advice.

Hey Nog I have a tube of LexEl you can have. Send me a PM and I'll sort out getting it to you somehow.
Old 12-06-2017, 22:43
PBO Member

I certainly wasn't suggesting we try and move this forum to facebook, it certainly would not be the same, and a lot of knowledge would be lost. I was merely offering a suggestion why the chat may be slower than before...And I agree, the Facebook page is nothing like this forum, and I personally rarely visit it.

Others have mentioned posting and getting no responses, selling their boats, or the current administrator not being overly present - however, even if Ron isn't here as much anymore, that still doesn't explain why the posts have dropped off.

My own reason for not posting as much - I very much enjoy reading this forum, though do not feel like I have a lot to add to a lot of the posts - so while I am present, I guess it is as more of a "lurker" for want of another word rather than contributor.

Having said that, I have recently purchased a new poly, and am yet to add it to the forum...so I guess I should get to it..
Old 13-06-2017, 09:46
PBO Member

PM sent Sam
Old 13-06-2017, 11:47
Tries to be helpful but usually is wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog View Post
Found what the back of a boat looks like too.
"Stern" please Norm, we may not have a captain at the helm currently but there are still standards to uphold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post

......I have recently purchased a new poly, and am yet to add it to the forum...so I guess I should get to it..
What d'ya get? We want pics!