Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Your Help is required - Can you spare $5 to keep the site running

Hi PBO's, its that time again to put my hand in the pocket and pay the sites fees. Which has been done.

If you have benefited from the info on the site, please become a member and kick in $5.

This year they are $129 for web hosting and $79 for the Security Certificate (SSL).

Paypalsend to email: polyboatowner@gmail.com or email that address for account details.

thanks in advance

Habes
2 of 2 < >

Welcome to the Poly Boat Owner Forum for Polycraft, Smartwave, Mac & Bushman boats

Hi Poly Boat Owner Visitors & Welcome to the forum. If you like what you see why don't you join, its free. Click on the signup button in the top RIGHT corner and follow instructions below. You are welcome to browse the site and see topics but content is now restricted to members only.

Automatic registration is turned on.

1. Choose a username that is at least 5 characters or more long
2. Choose a password that is 8 characters long which also contains a capital and a number.
3. Enter your contact email address
4. Enter the text in Captcha screen - yes it is case sensitive
5. Click on terms and conditions to agree
6. Click on "Complete Signup" button
7. Check your email for the activation link, click on the link to activate account.
8. Post a hello in the welcome area and tell us a bit about yourself, boat or looking , fishing etc...

We look forward to hearing from you. Please enjoy the forum and its members, just don't do anything that's offensive or "spammy".

Any probs contact us on email: polyboatowner@gmail.com

Habes, Dfer and IamSam
Site Admins
See more
See less

Fitting Accessories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fitting Accessories

Hi, just bought a Smartwave 490 in the UK (where noone seems to have heard of them!) and was looking for advice on fittings?

The boat I have bought has nothing extra added and I want to add a couple of bits of kit. Firstly two Scotty rod holder mounts on the gunnels. Secondly there are no Mooring cleats on the stern of the boat.

I have read that fixings like these can be fitted using proper marine grade self tapper screws, but I have also read these become loose very quickly? I was intending to drill small pilot holes, fill these with Marine Goop and put a seal of Goop under each accessory before screwing them down. Is this the best way to do it or am I missing a trick? Richard

Hi Mate,

For rod holders, might I suggest using the 'Railblaza' products. They have an innovative interchangeable system based on a common moulting style, and as well as having a mount that you can screw directly to the hull there's also a mount that can simply clamp around the handrails on the gunnels. Railblaza distribution is by SM Group www.smgeurope.com & they should be able to find a stockist near you.

My Smartwave 4200 also came without stern cleats (why not, smartwave ?), so I added them by using stainless steel self-tapping screws directly into the gunnel. Pilot hole should be larger than the minor of the screw thread but absolutely no larger than the pitch , and the screw should be long enough to screw right through the gunnel thickness... 12mm should do it.. A smear of silicone sealant around the pilot holes (to stop water going down the hole) before you put the cleat in place & fill the screw head countersink (to stop water going under the screw) once it's tightened should be enough. I've never had any trouble using them with deck lines, but I would not tow anything using them.

If you aren't happy to use self-tappers you could go up to something like a rubber well nut... or whatever they are called in the UK. They'll hold more load 'coz they mechanically clamp to the material thickness rather than screw into it, but the downside is you need to drill a much bigger hole to fit them in & the cleat might not cover the nut flange. Personally... I treat them as a 'Plan B' in case the self-tapper screws strip out the hole.

Hope this helps
    Attached Files
    2020 Smartwave 4200 Centre Console & 2020 50hp Mercury 4-Stroke.

Comment

Hi Bassy1, I can concur on the Railblaza stuff. The range of mounts and accessories is interchangeable not only rod holders. The cupholder they have is much better than fold up/fold down ones. I have used the rod holders offshore an are very strong for light offshore fishing. The prev owner of my boat used them for Bimini fittings are easier to unclip. If cannot source in UK, try www.whitworthsmarine.com.au, they might ship international.

regards Habes
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      Habes
      Far North Coast NSW

Comment

Working...
      X